The first thing we did was chop the armoire up into usable pieces - we took the top and the bottom (which were pretty large on their own - the bottom was 25" tall and the top was 12" tall) along with the bottom drawer and the doors (which we didn't end up using). We broke down and trashed the rest (no tears were shed).
From there we added a middle section with oak supports on both sides, and a plywood back with holes cut for cable management. We added an adjustable shelf to middle section for her cable box and refinished/cleaned up all of the repurposed pieces (which included banding and staining some edges, a minor miracle).
The finished piece was about 38" wide and 40" tall, and it fit perfectly in to the aesthetic and size of our client's beautiful home. It was a huge upcycle/repurpose success - as our client put it: My new focus is "repair or repurpose" instead of being so wasteful. This is a great example how to make the old/outdated into a more updated look. My sister wished she kept it herself.
Click through the show below to see more photos of the final product (along with a couple of before pics)!