I've always admired terracotta planter DIY paint projects. In fact, I love all of the ideas on the DIY Flower Pots Pinterest page. This seemed like just the right time to give this project a whirl - although I used a plastic pot instead of a terracotta planter and I made my line asymmetrical instead of the more typical straight split.
Dan was very excited for his new friend, promising to follow the care instructions I included with his card. And he was totally wowed by my crafty pot tricks (in my mind at least). Click "Read More" below to see pictures and steps as well as a special photo of the birthday boy with his new BFF. Then make one of these cheerful pots for one of your oldest and dearest friends.
You'll need the following items...
- Pot - mine was plastic with a removable bottom tray, you could also use a terracotta or ceramic planter (clean it w/soap and water before painting)
- Paint - acrylic
- Rubber band
- Plant - mine was a mojito mint plant from Wilson Farms in Lexington, MA (only $4!)
- Duct tape (optional)
Put the rubber band on the planter to separate the part you want to paint from the part you don't want to paint.
Because I wanted mine to be asymmetrical instead of straight, I applied the rubber band at an angle.
Before doing this step I also removed the bottom water tray from the actual planter so I could deal with and paint each piece separately.
I thought I was being wicked clever here by taping off the bottom of the planter and leaving it unpainted - my logic was that the paint shouldn't touch the plant or it's water/juices. Unfortunately I forgot to also duct tape off the lower section of the pot (the bit above the tape in the picture), which sometimes touches the water in the tray.
So this step is totally optional - if you do it think long and hard about what portion will be in the plant juice before taping off the section (it should be another 1/2" - 1" up from the duct tape). I read that acrylic isn't very poisonous to plants (especially if you're using a terracotta planter, which has special breathing properties) so I figured the plastic pot would probably be OK too. Besides, if the plant dies I can just blame Dan for being a bad caretaker.
I used DecoArt Peacock Blue Crafter's Acrylic and a 3/4" paintbrush brush. I painted both the water tray and the bottom taped off portion of the plastic pot. I painted it on this gross facecloth to protect my desk, sorry if it grosses you out.
I did 4 or 5 coats of paint. Each coat dried really quickly - about 15 minutes - and there's not a lot of surface area to cover, so doing lots of coats was easy. You definitely want to paint it enough so that none of the brown shows through.
I would recommend using a lighter application near the rubber band line - as you'll see in the next step I had some bleeding to deal with once I removed the band.
Remove the duct tape and the rubber band. If you have my luck, there will be some paint bleed to battle. I dealt by first trying to erase the paint using water and soap. On the bits where that didn't work I free-hand painted a little bit beyond the line to cover up the blue smudge spots.
Let your touch ups dry for a couple of hours before continuing on to Step 7.
First I reassembled the pot (the water tray screws into the bottom of the planter). Then I cut the plant out of it's original planter to try to keep the roots as undisturbed/intact as possible and potted it in the new planter. As you can see I added some additional soil at this point as well (I think it was some Miracle Gro, but I can't say for sure since it was just loose in one of our extra pot).
He likes it, he really likes it!