I attempted to paint it at some point in high school, making one room red (terrible idea) and then, much like my sister, abandoned the project. It sat in storage at my parents until Nico and I moved into our house - when my mother made me take all of my "crap" out of her house. Man, I wish I had before pictures so I could show off how sorry it looked after 20 years.
I started working on restoring it within months and became a little obsessed. I repainted everything: every little divot in the porch railing, underneath the stairs, in each tiny eave detail. I glued broken bits and restored the plastic windows. I worked on it regularly for - no lie - over 6 months. And then it was done. So I posted it on Craigslist. Thinking of the hours I had spent working on it I figured I could charge $$$. Which didn't happen, because, well, at the end of the day it's just a dollhouse and I'm not a pro-dollhouse-restorer. So the house went back in storage for a year (I knew it would only sell around Christmas, plus I imagined another little girl getting the same sweet surprise I did on Christmas morning).
And then this year I sold it. The buyer told me he planned to add flooring, wallpaper, and electricity (real lights!!) along with a display lazy susan so his daughter could turn it while she played with it. He said his daughter was huge into dolls and dollhouses and that she would love it, maybe even more than I did at her age. My mind was blown and I was stoked that the buyer was even better than I imagined. He promised to send me pictures after he added the finishing touches but I didn't believe him. I mean, it's Craigslist and we're strangers.
But then today! I got pictures of the completed project! There's a kitchen floor. There's curtains (his mom made them). There are lights!
I wanted to share this - even though it's not a true DIY Dacey. There aren't any steps. It's just - check out this cool antique dollhouse that, with the work of two strangers, has become new and improved once again.